Sign Language Studies
Folsom Lake College's sign language studies curriculum offers courses designed to introduce students to American sign language. Students learn basic conversational skills to communicate with members of the deaf community. Moreover, students learn about deaf culture, such as cultural behaviors and values.
Sign language courses are transferable to UC and CSU. Students who are interested in pursuing the interpreting field would be able to transfer to American River College’s Interpreter Preparation Program.
- ADA Specialist
- Childcare Worker
- Group Home Worker
- Human Services Worker
- Independent Skills Instructor
- Mental Counselor
- Rehabilitation Counselor
- Residential Counselor
- Teacher Aide
- Telecommunications Operator
- Video Relay Interpreter
Some career options may require more than two years of college study.
- Dedicated, well-trained instructors
- Highly interactive learning environment
- Close relationship with the deaf community
- Practical tools provided for communication opportunities