Study Abroad Program Financial Aid
Financial Aid is available to students participating in the Study Abroad Program. Students who qualify may be eligible for grants, loans, and scholarships.
There are additional fees associated with studying abroad. We encourage students to start planning early and budget for your semester abroad. Visit the Financial Aid website to get more information on budgeting and financial planning.
Steps To Study Abroad
You may be eligible to have your enrollment fees waived by the California College Promise Grant (formerly BOG fee waiver).Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for grants and loans.
Study Abroad Financial Aid Opportunities
Before applying for a scholarship, please read this helpful document on writing a winning scholarship essay.
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships and Grants offer a limited number of $500 Ambassador scholarships and $1,000 Opportunity scholarships. Please email your study abroad coordinator for information on how to apply at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Benjamin Gilman Scholarship offers a competition for awards for study abroad for students who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university. Award amounts vary, but can range up to $5,000. Gilman scholarships require an approved "Follow On" project that must be approved by the Los Rios Study Abroad Managing Director.
California Colleges for International Education Student Scholarship is a consortium dedicated to the ideal of increasing international understanding through education.
- Center for Global Education
- Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation
- FinAid Scholarship
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Fund for Education Abroad
- Institute of International Education
- International Education Financial Aid
- Scholarship Search
- Study Abroad Loans
- Scholarships for International Students
In preparing for optimal fundraising, start with this Fundraising Worksheet to help organize your financial needs. We have also compiled this Funding Your Study Abroad document to help give you creative ideas and steps to follow in order to be successful in financing your Study Abroad adventure. It is possible to raise the finances you need and we look forward to hearing your success in doing so!
American Institute For Foreign Study (AIFS) Partnerships are committed to ensuring the safety and security of our program participants. Our programs include:
- 24-hour emergency service in the U.S. and abroad
- Comprehensive insurance / assistance package that includes medical coverage abroad, program cancellation / interruption insurance and baggage coverage
- Financial security - a unique policy that protects every student's payment and guarantees he or she will receive the services included in the program