Skip to Content
Home Student Resources Counseling FAQ and Glossary

FLC's Counseling department is here to help! Below are the answers to some of the most frequent inquiries we receive, along with a glossary of helpful terminology for new students.

Frequently Asked Questions


Advanced Education: A high school student who is enrolled in college courses.

Accredited: A college or program which is recognized by a professional association as maintaining certain standards. Accredited programs qualify graduates for admission to higher or more specialized programs, and for professional practice. (Folsom Lake College is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.)

Articulation: A connecting link between two or more schools. Articulation agreements between Folsom Lake College and other schools list courses that transfer and meet general education and/or major requirements leading to a bachelor of arts degree.

Catalog: The catalog is the official college publication with general reference information and specifics regarding course descriptions, major and degree requirements. Every student is responsible for understanding the information in the catalog. Catalogs may be purchased at the FLC College Store or in the Admissions & Records office. Note: Not all courses listed in the catalog are taught at FLC/EDC/RCC each semester. Refer to the class schedule for current course offerings.

Certificate: A certificate is an award for the successful completion of a specified number of units in a career education/vocational/technical program. General education courses are not required for a certificate. Upon completion of the required units, a petition for the certificate must be completed with a counselor or via the online form.

Class Schedule: A list of courses and sections offered each semester and summer session. The days, hours, location, and name of instructor are also listed in the schedule. 

Counseling/Advising: Counseling assistance is available to students by a staff of professional counselors which enables students to establish and meet their educational goals and objectives. This includes personal and vocational counseling, career guidance, adjusting to college, developing study skill,s and many other services. Students may see the counselor of their choice.

Credit: See Units below.

Pass/No Pass: A policy of granting credit, but no grade, for satisfactory completion of a specific course. See the catalog for specific information.

Deficiency: A lack of credit in a required course or graduation requirement.

Degree: A degree is an official college recognition for the completion of requirements for graduation. At Folsom Lake College, you may receive an Associate of Science (AS), an Associate of Arts (AA), or an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT). Upon completion of all requirements for the degree, a petition for graduation must be completed with a counselor.

Dismissal: A student is subject to dismissal when they have earned a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.0 in all units attempted in each of three consecutive semesters. A student must see a counselor to petition for readmission.

Electives: Courses taken that do not fulfill general education or major requirements. May be taken for interest and/or to fulfill unit requirement for graduation or transfer.

Full-Time Student: A student who is enrolled in a minimum of 12 units for the semester.

General Education: Courses outside of the major that all students must complete to obtain a degree. See the catalog for further information and specific lists of courses.

Lower Division: Courses at the freshman and sophomore levels of college work, available at the community college as well as the four-year universities.

Major: A major is a student's primary field of study or area of concentration. Choosing a major is important for students working toward an associate degree and/or transfer to a four-year institution.

Matriculation: The process that all new students follow to help ensure success in meeting educational goals. Matriculation includes: assessment, orientation, counseling, registration, and follow-up.

Occupational Programs: Programs of study emphasizing job skills.

Part-Time Student: A student enrolled in fewer than 12 units for the semester.

Prerequisite: A prerequisite is a preliminary requirement that must be met before a certain course can be taken. The course descriptions in the catalog and the course listings in the class schedule include course prerequisites.

Probation: When a student is not progressing satisfactorily, they may be placed on either academic or progress probation.

Semester: The Folsom Lake College academic year is organized into two periods of 16 weeks each., the fall and spring semesters. There is also an optional summer session.

Transfer Program: A series of courses designed to match the lower division courses at a university and which may be transferred to that university.

Units: A basis of measurement for courses. One hour per week for 16 weeks is equal to 1 unit of credit. A 3 unit lecture class may meet 3 times a week for one hour or twice a week for 1 ½ hours or once a week for 3 hours or some other combination to equal 54 hours for the semester. Lab classes and physical education classes vary in the way in which units are equated.

Upper Division: Courses at the junior and senior levels of college work. Upper division courses are not available at the community college.