At Folsom Lake College, we believe in you and your goals, and we want to see you achieve them – that's why we're making the Los Rios Promise. Promise programs offer first-time, full-time students up to two years of tuition-free education at any Los Rios college.
The Los Rios Promise covers tuition for 12 to 18 units but does not cover the cost of books or other fees. Learn about other types of financial aid that can help cover your expenses.
Deadline for Los Rios Promise Program Enrollment and FAFSA Completion
Eligible students must enroll in classes and submit the FAFSA/CADAA by the following deadlines to receive Los Rios Promise funds:
- Summer 2021: June 16, 2021
- Fall 2021: September 7, 2021
- Spring 2022: January 31, 2022
To be eligible for the Los Rios Promise, you must:
- Be a California resident
- Be a first-time college student*
- Enroll in and maintain at least 12 units for fall and spring semesters by the deadline
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) by the deadline
* Courses taken during high school (through dual enrollment or advanced education) are considered "pre-college" and do not prevent you from taking advantage of the Los Rios Promise. Students who transfer from a college other than a Los Rios college are not eligible for the Los Rios Promise.
Los Rios Promise Funds for Summer Tuition Fees
To use Los Rios Promise funds to pay for your summer tuition fees, you must enroll in 12 or more units for the summer term by the Los Rios Promise Program Enrollment and FAFSA Completion deadline.
Eligibility for Mid-Term First-Time New and Second Year Recipients
Students are only eligible for the Los Rios Promise Program for two award years beginning with their initial enrollment in the fall term. Students whose first enrollment is the spring term will only be eligible for 1.5 years (not the full two years), provided that they meet the enrollment and FAFSA completion deadline.
To apply for the Los Rios Promise Program for a second year, students must complete a new FAFSA and be enrolled in 12 or more units on the enrollment deadline. Students who are transferring in from another California community college must contact the Financial Aid office. Students transferring from a college or university outside of California are not eligible for the Los Rios Promise Program.
Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application (CADAA)* by the Los Rios Promise Program Enrollment and FAFSA Completion deadline. See all financial aid deadlines.
* If you are not a US citizen or permanent US resident, then you should fill out the CADAA instead of the FAFSA.
For questions regarding the Los Rios Promise, please contact the Financial Aid department.
The Rancho Cordova Promise offers Rancho Cordova residents who graduate from high school during the 2020-21 academic year to attend their first two years of Folsom Lake College fee-free (12 to 18 units per semester for the 2021-22 and 2022-23 academic years). The program has also been expanded to include residents who are Veterans, whether they are a new or continuing student. Rancho Cordova Promise is funded by the City of Rancho Cordova's Community Enhancement Fund, a ½ cent local sales tax measure that was approved by Rancho Cordova citizens in November 2014 and provides locally-controlled funds for local priorities.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a current Rancho Cordova resident
- Visit Sacramento County's Online Map tool and enter your address in the search box. If the property information shows as the "Jurisdiction" of Rancho Cordova, then your address qualifies. Please note that Folsom Lake College reserves the right to request official documentation of your legal residence.
- Be a first-time college student*
- Have graduated high school or received a GED during the previous academic school year (July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021). Note: High school location does not need to be in Rancho Cordova.
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 units at Folsom Lake College or its educational centers, the Rancho Cordova Center or the El Dorado Center, for the Fall 2021 semester.
- In order to remain eligible for all four semesters, each Promise student must pass 6 of their 12-18 units each semester.
* Courses taken during high school (through dual enrollment, advanced education, and so on) are considered "pre-college" and do not prevent you from taking advantage of the Rancho Cordova Promise.
The program has been expanded to include Rancho Cordova residents (using the same tool linked above) who are Veterans, including both full-time and continuing students.
Each Rancho Cordova Promise student will be awarded up to will be awarded up to $883 for up to four semesters, which includes:
- Tuition/enrollment fee of $46/unit (as determined by California Legislature) x 18 units/max
- $20 Health Services Fee
- $2 Student Representation Fee
Student must successfully pass (with a grade of C or better) 6 of their 12-18 unit Fall 2021 class load to receive funding for the subsequent semesters (maximum of $883/semester). $33.75 Universal Transit Pass Fee (based on a 15+ unit load)
2021-22 Rancho Cordova Promise applications will be accepted November 1, 2020 to August 1, 2021.
Steps to Apply
- Apply to Folsom Lake College online through CCC Apply.
- After you receive a student ID number, submit the Rancho Cordova Promise application online.
- Apply for financial aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are not a US citizen or permanent US resident, then you should fill out the California Dream Act Application instead of the FAFSA.
Admissions & Records
Phone: (916) 361-6337
For questions regarding the Rancho Cordova Promise only, please contact:
Admissions & Records Supervisor
Phone: (916) 608-6645