Health & Wellness Services
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Los Rios Colleges have begun 100% remote operations including moving all classes and student services online until further notice.
The College Nurse is currently working remotely, answering emails and taking phone calls only at this time. If you are a student or Los Rios employee and need health and wellness resources/referrals, please email or call the College Nurse and she will respond as soon as possible.
Health & Wellness Services emphasizes health and wellness promotion and illness prevention. Most services and all workshops are free to students.
- Outreach & prevention services - events, workshops, classroom visits or guest lecturing, and campus presentations.
- First aid – although Los Rios Police are first responders, the College Nurse is often dispatched for accidents and sudden illness on campus.
- Assessment of medical problems – the College Nurse can help a student develop a plan to manage chronic conditions, provide instructions for self-care of an illness or injury, and/or give referrals to appropriate community resources that can meet a student’s unique needs.
- Wellness coaching, advising, and support for mind/body/spirit – assisting/listening to student’s needs and problems, working with students on wellness goals or healing solutions, and providing referrals as needed for therapy or mental health counseling
- Guides students seeking health insurance to affordable (and sometimes free) options.
- Health screening – vision screening, blood pressure screening, weight and body fat measurement.
- Tuberculin Skin Testing (at Main Folsom campus only) - $5 fee for students (pay first at Business Services office in College Administration). Note: Results must be checked by the nurse 48-72 hours after the TB test has been placed. Tests are given weekdays during office hours, except Thursday. Appointments are strongly recommended for both testing and results.
- Wellness information and brochures, drug and alcohol abuse information and referrals, and smoking cessation assistance.
- Over-the-counter medications - there is a medication vending machine by the Nurse’s office with several over-the-counter medications.
Nurse-Directed Wellness Services
Health & Wellness Services is not a clinic; all services provided are within the nursing scope of practice. For this reason, although the College Nurse is able to provide students with many kinds of wellness services (health promotion and illness prevention), the College Nurse does not diagnose illnesses, prescribe medications, perform lab tests or complicated treatments. In the cases where these things are necessary, referrals are made or resources given.
All services provided by Health & Wellness Services are kept strictly confidential according to State and Federal regulations, HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act), and FERPA.
The Wellness Model
Services provided by the College Nurse were created using the Wellness Model. The Wellness Model addresses all seven aspects of wellness (mind, body, spirit, environment, intellectual, vocational/occupational, and social).
Events, Workshops and Presentations
Mary Hansen, RN, MSN, PHN, INC-BC
Main Folsom campus
Monday and Tuesday:
9:45 am to 5:00 pm
10:45 am to 6:00 pm
3:30 to 5:00 pm
By appointment only
For services at the El Dorado Center and Rancho Cordova Center, call (916) 608-6782 to make an appointment.
Main Folsom campus
Aspen Hall FL1-52 & 53 (inside Student Services)