Skip to Content


Print Options

Financial Aid

Get the Financial Help You Need

Money shouldn't get in the way of getting a college education. The Financial Aid Office is here to help you get the financial support you need to afford college.

Financial Aid Eligibility

Generally, to be eligible for financial aid, students must:

  • Demonstrate financial need (for most programs)
  • Be a US citizen or an eligible non-citizen
  • Have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program
  • Be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for Direct Loan Program funds
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Sign the certification statement on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) stating that:
    • You are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant
    • You will use federal student aid only for educational purposes
  • Show you're qualified to obtain a college or career school education by one of the following:
    • Having a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate
    • Completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law (or – if state law does not require a homeschooled student to obtain a completion credential – completing a high school education in a homeschool setting that qualifies as an exemption from compulsory attendance requirements under state law)
    • Enrolling in an eligible career pathway program and meeting one of the ability-to-benefit alternatives

Ability-to-Benefit Alternatives

If you were enrolled in college or career school prior to July 1, 2012, or if you are currently enrolled in an eligible career pathway program*, then you may show you're qualified to obtain a higher education by one of the following:

  • Passing an approved ability-to-benefit test* (if you don't have a diploma or GED, a college can administer a test to determine whether you can benefit from the education offered at that school)
  • Completing six credit hours or equivalent course work toward a degree or certificate (you may not receive aid while earning the six credit hours)

*For more information about these criteria, talk to the Financial Aid Office.

Contact Financial Aid Office

Main Folsom Campus: (916) 608-6646

For additional contact information, location information, and hours, visit the Financial Aid Webpage.