The Universal Transit Pass (UTP) allows eligible students to use Sacramento Regional Transit (SacRT) bus and light rail services at a lower price. All eligible students are charged the UTP fee, regardless of whether or not they use the pass.
ZipPass – Digital UTP
The UTP is now available electronically via SacRT's mobile fare app, ZipPass.
Get the ZipPass Mobile App
Download ZipPass in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store by searching for "ZipPass".
How to Access the UTP in ZipPass
Pay UTP Fee
Fall 2023: Students who pay the Fall 2023 UTP fee on or before July 18, 2023 will receive an email containing a ZipPass voucher code in July 2023. Students who pay the summer 2023 UTP fee on or after July 19, 2023 will receive an email containing a ZipPass voucher code within five (5) business days of payment. The confirmation email is sent to the student's preferred email.
The email will be sent from Sacramento Regional Transit District with a subject line of "Los Rios Students: Get Your Fall 2023 SacRT Pass Electronically."
Use Voucher Code
With the confirmation email nearby, complete the following steps:
- Open the ZipPass app on your mobile device.
- Complete the registration process using the email address listed in your email confirmation from SacRT.
- Go to the Settings tab in the app and tap on the Ticket Voucher button.
- Enter the 8-digit voucher code shown in your email confirmation from SacRT. This will load your UTP on your device.
Please note that if you have ordered a physical UTP, then the voucher code in your confirmation email will not be valid.
How to Use ZipPass
- Open your ZipPass app before you board a bus or train.
- Navigate to the Available tab.
- Tap on your current semester UTP to activate.
- Present your active pass to the bus operator or transit ambassador.
- After the first activation, you will find your pass under the Active tab for future use.
If you do not have a smart phone or wish to receive an alternative version of the pass, please refer to the instructions in the email sent to you from Sacramento Regional Transit District with a subject line of "Los Rios Students: Get Your SacRT Pass Electronically.” Please note that the voucher code will not be valid if an alternative form of the pass is ordered.
Valid UTP Dates
- For the fall semester, the UTP is valid from August 1 through December 31.
- For the spring semester, the UTP is valid from January 1 through May 31.
- For the summer semester, the UTP is valid from June 1 through the last day of the semester (for summer 2024, that is August 8).
Available Transit Services
The UTP applies to all RT services, including light rail and buses. The UTP is valid 24 hours per day, seven days per week, for any purpose.
See a list of transit and bus systems that accept the UTP. UC Davis Unitrans does not accept the UTP. Los Rios students must follow SacRT's abide to ride rules.
RT reserves the right to cancel transfer agreements and exclude transit partners if its future fee reimbursement and cost needs are not met.
Contact SacRT at (916) 321-2877 if you have questions about setting up or using ZipPass.
Students taking one or more units during the spring or fall semester are eligible for the UTP. All students are eligible for the UTP in the summer semester, regardless of how many units they take.
Some students are not eligible for the UTP and therefore are not charged the fee. These students include:
- Students enrolled in the Regional Public Safety Training Center (RPSTC)
- Students enrolled in apprenticeship programs
- Students taking classes on the UC Davis main campus
- Students studying abroad
- Incarcerated students inside correctional facilities
- Students whose home college is not a Los Rios college but who are enrolled in courses at a Los Rios college through the California Community Colleges Online Education Initiative Course Exchange
To learn about the UTP fee structure, visit the tuition and fees page.
Visit the refunds page to learn how to request a UTP refund.