CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids) is a statewide public assistance program that provides cash aid and services to eligible families that have a child or children in the home.
What is the FLC CalWORKs program?
Folsom Lake College's CalWORKs program is an on-campus student support program providing well-rounded, high-quality service, care, and advocacy to all program-eligible students and their families.
- Enrolled in a minimum of one unit at Folsom Lake College
- Currently receiving cash aid (adult and dependent) from one of California's 58 counties. Verified through the submission of the CalWORKs Aid Verification Form (valid only with signature, date, and stamp from a County Worker/Employment Advisor)
How to Apply
Step 1: Request your county worker to complete the LRDDC CalWORKs Aid Verification Form. The form must be signed and stamped by your county worker -or- submitted directly by your county worker (email/fax) in order to be valid. The verification form must be completed every semester.
Main Folsom Campus
10 College Parkway in Folsom, California 95630
El Dorado Center
6699 Campus Drive, Placerville, CA 95667
Rancho Cordova Center
10259 Folsom Boulevard, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Once received, a member of our team will contact you to schedule your CalWORKs program orientation.
We are happy to connect you with counselors who can assist you in planning your academic journey.
Students will receive information on the county-approved list of vocational programs available to them, as well as information on general education, graduation requirements, and transfer options.
CalWORKs Specialists are available to help you in the following ways:
- Answering questions you may have about FLC CalWORKs, entering our program, or negotiating the college enrollment process.
- Information regarding your rights, responsibilities, and requirements concerning county CalWORKs and FLC CalWORKs.
- Completing county documents such as textbook and enrollment verifications, and providing guidance calculating hours.
- Providing employment service opportunities such as job search, resume, cover letter writing, on and off campus work-study, etc.
- Locating and referring students to appropriate services and resources both on and off campus.
- Providing a point of contact and collaboration for county case workers and CalWORKs/TANF recipients to facilitate successful program completion, lifelong self-sufficiency, and empowerment.
FLC CalWORKs partners with college departments and the Los Rios Virtual Call Center to offer eligible students the opportunity to gain work experience and earn an income under its Work Study program. According to ACL 98-85, income earned from a college work study program is considered exempt from property or income calculations. Once you begin participating in the CalWORKs program, be sure to inquire about work study with your CalWORKs Advisor/Specialist.
To learn more about job openings, visit Handshake.
Based on a student's financial aid unmet need for the term, FLC CalWORKs provides eligible students with direct resources that may include:
- Grants ($200 to $800)
- School supply vouchers
- Transportation assistance (gas cards)
Additionally, FLC CalWORKs is one of the many student support programs that make up the college's Center for Excellence. Partnering with such programs as: EOPS, CARE, NextUp, and DSPS, we provide:
- Textbook lending library
- HP laptop and T-83 calculator lending program
- Referrals to FLC's Falcon Cares program and information on regional resources (food and diaper distributions, no and low-cost tech/internet programs, etc.)
Our collaborative relationships with the Department of Human Assistance in Sacramento County and the Department of Human Services in El Dorado County allow us to work as a team to ensure CalWORKs students are being served effectively as they successfully transition to the work-force.
In-Person and Remote Hours
Monday through Friday:
8:00am to 5:00pm
Remote Only Hours
8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Main Folsom campus
Aspen Hall FL1-108 (Center for Excellence)
El Dorado Center
B-121 (Student Services Reception)
Rancho Cordova Center
RCC1 (Front Counter)