Skip to Content

PASS logoPASS supports students who fall into probation or dismissal status. The goal of PASS is to provide valuable policy information, while helping students develop success strategies to get back on track and return to Good Standing. We want students to continue to work towards their educational and career goals at Folsom Lake College.

Being on probation or dismissal should be taken seriously. In addition to meeting academic needs, PASS' holistic approach includes counseling on personal issues, recommending on-campus support services, and providing appropriate referrals to community-based resources. It is the students’ responsibility to check their transcript in eServices after grades post each semester to stay current on their latest term GPA, cumulative GPA, and academic standing.

To schedule a PASS Counseling appointment, call Brittney Anderson (916) 608-6730, email or visit Aspen Hall FL1-39 (in Student Services near the Counseling front desk) at the Main Folsom Campus.

Supporting Students on Probation or Dismissal Status

PASS supports students who are identified via Early Alert or placed on Probation 1, Probation 2, or Dismissal status. Note: Students enrolled at multiple Los Rios colleges will receive a different academic standing at each campus. Students should address their probation or dismissal status at their home campus. Please note that probation or dismissal holds affect enrollment throughout the district, until the hold is addressed.

Early Alert/Starfish

Instructors may submit Early Alert referrals as a preventative intervention for students of concern, prior to students falling into Probation status.

The Starfish Early Alert system will be implemented in Fall 2020.

Academic Probation and Academic Dismissal (AP1, AP2, AD)

Students who have attempted at least 12 semester units, and whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0, will be placed on Academic Probation 1 (AP1). After the second consecutive semester of a cumulative GPA below 2.0, student will be placed on Academic Probation 2 (AP2). After the third consecutive semester, students are placed on Academic Dismissal (AD). When the overall GPA improves to 2.0 or higher, the student returns to Good Standing.

Progress Probation and Progress Dismissal (PP1, PP2, PD)

Students are placed on Progress Probation 1 (PP1) when W, I, and NP grades are recorded in one half or more of all units in which a student has enrolled. After the second consecutive semester, students fall into Progress Probation 2 (PP2). After the third consecutive semester, students are placed on Progress Dismissal (PD). When the overall FLC transcript has less than one half of W, I, or NP grades, the student returns to Good Standing.

How to Address Your Probation or Dismissal Hold

PASS AP1/PP1 logo

Probation 1 (AP1, PP1) 

Attend a one hour PASS Workshop, discuss success strategies and future consequences

PASS AP2/PP2 logo

Probation 2 (AP2, PP2) 

Meet with a Counselor and update your Student Educational Plan


Dismissal (AD, PD) 

Meet with a PASS Counselor, complete a Readmit Petition and update your Student Educational Plan

PASS Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What is the difference between Academic Probation and Progress Probation?

Academic Probation is when your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 (after attempting at least 12 units). Progress Probation is when 50% or more of your courses received a W, Incomplete, or NP.

Who do I contact about probation or dismissal?

Call PASS Student Personnel Assistant, Brittney Anderson, at (916) 608-6730, or visit Aspen Hall FL1-39 (in Student Services near the Counseling counter) at the Main Folsom campus.

How does probation or dismissal affect my Financial Aid?

Students on Probation 2 or Dismissal may lose their California College Promise Grant (formerly BOG Fee Waiver). You may appeal your loss of the California College Promise Grant if in the most recent term, you earned a GPA of 2.0 or higher and completed more than 50% of units attempted. For questions regarding your financial aid, contact the Financial Aid office at (916) 608-6646 or visit the Financial Aid Office in Aspen Hall FL1 (next to the Counseling counter).

Will I lose priority registration?

Yes, students who are on Probation 2 or Dismissal lose their priority 1 registration and drop to open enrollment. You may appeal your loss of priority registration if in the most recent term, you earned a GPA of 2.0 or higher, and completed more than 50% of units attempted.

Academic Probation 1 / Progress Probation 1

How do I get my probation hold removed?

Students on Probation 1 must attend a mandatory PASS Workshop to learn valuable information and strategies to return to good academic standing.

What if I don't attend a PASS workshop?

If you do not attend a workshop or meet with a Counselor, the probation hold will remain on your account. This hold will not allow you to enroll in classes next semester.

Can I meet with any FLC Counselor?

Yes. In addition to the mandatory PASS Workshop, students on Probation 1 may schedule an optional appointment during the semester with a PASS Counselor or any general counselor.

If I attend a workshop, am I off probation?

No. Attending a PASS workshop fulfills your requirement for probation 1. However, your academic standing will remain the same until grades post.

Academic Probation 2 / Progress Probation 2

What are my requirements for Probation 2?

All students on Probation 2 are required to meet with a Counselor. There may be other requirements assigned by your counselor.

How can I improve my GPA?

Your counselor will review your transcript to determine strategies to improve your GPA and return to Good Standing. There are many ways to improve your GPA:

  • Complete more units with a grade of "C" or better.
  • Course Repetition - Repeat courses where you earned a grade of D or F.
  • Participate in campus programs and services such as tutoring.
  • Academic Renewal - Ask your Counselor if you qualify. See catalog for more information.
  • Withdraw from courses early; prior to the last day to drop without notation on record.

Academic Dismissal / Progress Dismissal

What does Academic Dismissal and Progress Dismissal mean?

Academic Dismissal is when you have a cumulative GPA of below 2.0 for three consecutive semesters. Progress Dismissal is when more than 50% of your courses received a W, Incomplete, or NP, for three consecutive semesters.

What are the requirements for being on dismissal?

You must meet with a PASS counselor to complete a Petition for Readmission After Dismissal (Readmit Petition) form, and discuss success strategies to help you get back on track.

Can I still enroll in classes if I go into dismissal?

Yes, if this is your first semester of dismissal (and you’ve met the requirements to remove your dismissal hold).

What if this is my second or third dismissal? What is a Stop-Out?

If you fall into dismissal for a second or third time, you may be Stopped Out and unable to enroll in classes for one semester. You may still enroll in classes if you show term improvement.

  • For Academic Dismissal, you must improve your term GPA to at least 2.0.
  • For Progress Dismissal, you must avoid receiving any W, Incomplete, or NP grades.