Posting on Campus/Bulletin Board Guidelines
Materials should be designed to inform the Folsom Lake College, El Dorado Center, and Rancho Cordova Center communities, on-campus and off, about classes and special events of interest.
The following guidelines are established with the purposes of:
- Providing simple to understand procedures for producing and posting flyers, announcements, and posters.
- Maintaining the aesthetics of the buildings.
- Ensuring that all college-related groups have equal access.
- College posting areas are not public forums. They are designed as a place for the college, its students, and employees to provide information for students and faculty/staff about: student activities and events, college-sponsored activities and events, course promotion, student election information, scholarship opportunities, job listings (on designated bulletin boards only), and personal goods and services, ex. books for sale, rooms for rent, vehicles for sale (on designated bulletin boards only). All postings must be sponsored by a College student, faculty, or staff member, or a registered college organization or department.
- Fliers, posters, banners, and other materials on behalf of any college-affiliated organization or department should follow the logo, style, and branding guidelines outlined in the current Folsom Lake College Style Guide. Please Note: Templates are available at inside.flc.losrios.edu/piso.
- All materials to be posted must specifically state:
- The type of activity/event.
- The date, time, campus, and location of activity/event.
- The sponsoring individual, club, organization, or department.
- No postings shall include content which is obscene, libelous, or slanderous.
- No posting shall include:
- Content that is based upon a legally protected classification (race, ethnic group identification, race, color, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth-related condition, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion or religious creed, age (over forty), national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, political affiliation or belief, military and veteran status, marital status)
- Unreasonably interfere with students or staffs’ work or learning environment, or which creates an intimidating, hostile, or abusive work environment or which is sufficiently severe or pervasive as to adversely alter the conditions of the learning or work environment.
Approval & Posting Process
- All college interior posted materials (see "Posting Locations" below) should be stamped for approval prior to posting by the following offices (please allow appropriate time for approval of materials). Approval shall be given to any posting that falls within the designated types of information that may be posted and is not otherwise prohibited. Approval shall not be withheld based on the content of the posting:
- ASFLC or club-related materials: Must be approved by the Student Life Supervisor, email@example.com or FLC - Falcon's Roost FR-108.
- Job listings: Must be approved by Cameron Whitfield, WEXP Jobs Developer, firstname.lastname@example.org or FLC - Falcon’s Roost FR-115.
- Other materials: Must be approved by the Public Information Service Office (PISO), email@example.com or FLC - Aspen Hall FL1-9; or Welcome and Student Success Center, FLC-Aspen Hall/FL1.
- The sponsoring individual, club, organization, or department is responsible for posting their own materials, once approved.
- Publicity materials shall be posted no earlier than 10 instructional days preceding the activity/event.
- The sponsoring group or individual is responsible for removing all fliers, postings, and adhesive materials within two instructional days of the end date indicated on the item. All non-dated info may be posted no more than 30 days.
- All materials may be posted on designated bulletin boards only. Materials may not be affixed to or directly written on: any painted, brick, or slate walls; poles; fixtures; sidewalks; doors; or windows. Materials shall not be placed over or obstruct the view of previously posted materials or directional, emergency, or warning signs.
- Interior Bulletin Boards:
- Only college-related fliers, posters, and other promotional materials may be posted. Please Note: Some bulletin boards are specifically set aside for specific content (ex. ASFLC, Career & Transfer Center, Job Postings, Scholarships, etc.) and will be designated accordingly.
- Faculty Bulletin Boards: Individual faculty members have supervision of their respective boards located near their office locations and are designated accordingly. Materials are displayed there only by permission of respective faculty. Faculty members are encouraged to routinely review their boards for appropriate content.
- Exterior Bulletin Boards:
- General community postings (for activities not specifically related to the college) may be posted on the exterior bulletin boards at the Main Folsom campus in the Quad area (between Aspen Hall and Cypress Hall). Please Note: No exterior posting boards are available at the El Dorado Center or Rancho Cordova Center at this time.
- All materials may be posted no more than 30 days.
- Materials must be posted using push-pins or painters tape. Staples and glue may not be used.
- Interior Bulletin Boards:
Please Note: Any item that has not followed the guidelines above is subject to removal.
Updated and reviewed by the Los Rios Community College District Office of the General Counsel, March 2019.