Skip to Content
Home Admissions Get Started and Apply Veteran, Reservist, or Dependent of a Veteran Admission and Enrollment Steps

Veteran, Reservist, or Dependent Admission and Enrollment Steps

Folsom Lake College helps veteran students and their families with their educational and VA-related needs. Certifying officials act as the link between students and the Department of Veterans Affairs. We understand that the transition from military to college life can be difficult and are committed to providing the best possible care in appreciation for your sacrifice and service.

Folsom Lake College adheres to Executive Order 13607 Establishing Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members.

Learn about education benefits offered by VA through the GI Bill®. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Not a Veteran, Reservist, or Dependent?

If you are not a veteran, reservist, or dependent of a service-connected disabled or deceased veteran, then you may need to follow different steps. Find out what type of student you are and get the correct steps for you!

What Type of Student Are You?

Apply to Folsom Lake College

Create an OpenCCC account using a personal email (or log in if you already have an account) and fill out the online application for Folsom Lake College.

Students who submit an application without a social security number (SSN), work authorization SSN, or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) will need to fill out a Student ID Help Form to process their application and receive their student ID number.

High School Seniors

If your high school completion date is before June and you are applying for the summer or fall semester, then enter the information on your application as if you have already graduated. Please note the “as of” dates outlined throughout the application.

Selecting a Major/Goal

If you're unsure what you want to study, explore careers with PathwayU – a free tool for students to explore where their interests, values, personality, and workplace preferences intersect with career fields and programs of study available at Folsom Lake College. Start by completing the simple PathwayU assessments and see where the results take you!

Students who select "undecided" as their major/goal are not eligible for financial aid. We encourage you to select what you are most interested in right now.

Students Must Reside in California

Students who are not physically located in California may not enroll in online courses offered by Folsom Lake College. Folsom Lake College is not authorized to provide education outside the boundaries of the State of California.

Apply to FLC

Save Money – Apply for Financial Aid

Financial aid is any source of funds that help you pay for college. We recommend that you submit a financial aid application to see what you qualify for! 

Folsom Lake College's federal school code is 038713.

The FAFSA is the gateway to most federal and state financial aid opportunities for US citizens, permanent residents, and eligible non-citizens, including:

Learn More About Financial Aid

Submit Forms to Veterans Affairs Office

Thes following forms are available at the VA How to Apply website.

For Veterans or Reservists

If you are a veteran or reservist applying for VA educational benefits for the first time, then complete VA Form 22-1990.

If you are a veteran or reservist and you are transferring from another college where you used VA educational benefits, then complete VA Form 22-1995.

For Dependents

If you are a dependent applying for VA educational benefits for the first time, then complete VA Form 22-5490.

If you are a dependent and you are transferring from another college where you used VA educational benefits, then complete VA Form 22-1995 or 22-5495. – How to Apply

Submit Official Transcripts

Per VA policy, all transcripts – regardless of whether VA education benefits were used or not – must be submitted to FLC to grant all appropriate credit to the student's academic record.

Request and submit all official transcripts from colleges/universities you attended as well as military transcripts.

Submit by Mail

Folsom Lake College
Admissions & Records
10 College Parkway
Folsom, CA 95630

Submit by Email

Official transcripts can be sent electronically to, but they must come directly from the college or university.

Where to Request Military Transcripts

If Non-Resident, Apply for In-State Tuition

The State of California offers in-state tuition for active military members, their dependents, and veterans who have been honorably discharged.

Effective Fall 2015, the State of California offers in-state tuition for active military members and their dependents, as well as veterans who have been honorably discharged. Any veteran or dependent who meets the criteria as outlined by Assembly Bill 13 is eligible for a non-resident tuition exemption.

If this applies to you, then complete the VACA Non-Resident Fee Exemption Form and submit it to Admissions and Records.

VACA Non-Resident Fee Exemption Form

Set Up eServices and Los Rios Gmail

eServices is Los Rios' online student portal where students manage their information, records, classes, and more.

After your application is processed, you will receive an email with your Los Rios student ID number (also known as a "W" number or "wID"). This is a seven-digit number with a preceding "W"; for example, W0000001.

You will use your Los Rios ID and password to log in to multiple services, including Canvas, eServices, Los Rios Gmail, and instructional lab computers.

Create Password

Complete Orientation

New student orientation gives you important information to help you succeed in college.

You'll receive guidance with the enrollment process and connect with your success coach, who is your go-to person at Folsom Lake College. You will also learn how to choose classes and meet with a counselor.

View Orientation

Check Your Math and English Placement

Your placement helps you determine which math, English, or English as a Second Language (ESL) courses you should enroll in.

Students can check their placement in eServices.

  1. From your eServices dashboard, click Academic Records.
  2. Click Placements to view your math and English placements.

Recent High School Graduates

If you graduated high school less than 10 years ago and you provided your GPA and the last math and English classes you took in high school on your application, then your placement information is automatically updated in eServices.

Older High School Graduates and Others

If any of the following are true for you, then you may need to submit your high school transcripts or use the guided self-placement process to receive your math and English placement:

  • Graduated high school more than 10 years ago
  • Left high school without graduating
  • Did not enter your high school information on your application
  • Attended a foreign high school

Learn About Placement

Submit Forms to Veterans Success Center

Submit these forms to FLC's Veterans Success Center as soon as you receive your student ID.

Complete and submit the following forms:

  • VA Student Intake Form
  • Statement of Student Understanding Form
  • DD214 (member 4 copy) – veterans only
  • NOBE – select reservists only. A copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility must be submitted – it is obtained through your command.
  • Copy of Kicker, if applicable
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) – letter sent from VA that confirms eligibility for education benefits

Meet With a Counselor

Make an appointment with a counselor to create a new VA Education Plan or update an existing one.

If you have prior college credit, then schedule an appointment to meet with a counselor to complete your VA education plan (this is a one-hour appointment).

If you are on active duty and not in the area, then phone appointments are available.

Per VA policy, a VA education plan is required to determine which courses are payable for VA education benefits. Only courses (including prerequisites) that satisfy requirements for a program of study can be reported to the VA. Following your education plan will ensure successful certification with minimal delays.

All official transcripts must be on file with Admissions & Records before you can make an appointment with a counselor to create a VA education plan. A counselor will not be able to complete the VA education plan without transcripts, and this will delay the certification process.

Make a Counseling Appointment

Enroll in Classes

Veterans qualify for Priority 0 registration.

You will be assigned an enrollment appointment, which is the earliest date and time you can enroll in classes. You can find your enrollment appointment in eServices.

You can enroll in classes at multiple Los Rios colleges. To do this, log in to eServices and follow these steps:

  1. Click Manage Classes.
  2. Click Add Another College.
  3. Follow the instructions to add the college where you want to take classes for the selected term.

Enroll in Classes

Pay Your Fees

If you are using chapters 30, 1606, 1607, or 35 benefits, then pay your fees soon after you enroll to avoid being dropped.

Veterans who are using chapters 30, 1606, 1607, or 35 benefits are responsible for paying their own enrollment fees.

Note: Only students using chapters 31 (VOC rehab) or 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®) have their fees paid by the VA. If you use chapters 31 or 33 benefits, then you need to submit a request for certification each semester after you enroll.

Your tuition and fees are due soon after you enroll in classes. You may be dropped if your fees are not paid by the fee payment deadline. This is true even if you enroll in a class that starts later in the semester.

You can see how much you owe in eServices. From your dashboard, click Financial Account, then Account Balance.

Pay Fees in eServices

Self-Certify Enrollment Each Month

Self-certify your enrollment to receive payment each month.

Chapters 30 or 1606

Students using chapters 30 or 1606 must self-certify their enrollment on the last day of each month, which initiates direct deposit or payment. To self-certify, go to WAVE or call (877) 823-2378.

Chapter 33

Students using chapter 33 who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments must self-certify their enrollment each month. If you fail to verify your information for two consecutive months, then your monthly payments will be placed on hold and you will have to take additional steps to verify your enrollment and have the payments released. Visit the VA Enrollment Verification and Training webpage to learn how to self-certify.

Email Steps

Get Help