First-time students: complete these six steps and start your academic journey today!

Whether your goal is to earn a certificate or degree or to transfer to a four-year college or university, the Folsom Lake College is here to help you succeed.

1 Apply Now 1

Get started on your path to college by filling out our free online application. You will be automatically accepted if you have a high school diploma (or equivalent) or are at least 18 years old. After submitting your application, an email will be sent to you with your Los Rios identification (ID) number and instructions for next steps.

How to Apply

Complete your application online. Applications are processed through OpenCCC. Create an OpenCCC account to fill out the application. You can save your application and come back to it at any time. You will have a chance to review your application before you submit it.

Note: You only need to submit one application to take classes at any college in the Los Rios district (American River College, Cosumnes River College, Folsom Lake College, Sacramento City College). Do not submit a separate application for each college.

Application Checklist

Items Timeframe Resources
Submit application online. The application for summer or fall 2019 is now open. Contact OpenCCC if you have questions about the application.
Log into eServices and Los Rios Gmail. After you receive your student ID number. Look up your student ID number.

2 Get Financial Help 2

With the new Los Rios Promise, all first-time students who complete a FAFSA (or California Dream Act application) and enroll full time (minimum of 12 units) are eligible for free tuition. In addition to the Los Rios Promise, there are several other ways to get financial assistance if you need help paying for college. You may qualify for thousands of dollars in aid from federal, state, and private resources. Types of financial aid include fee waivers, grants, scholarships, and loans.

Federal Aid

The first step is to apply for financial aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Learn more about the FAFSA.

Though undocumented students cannot apply for aid through the FAFSA, the may be eligible for state financial aid through the California Dream Act. Learn more about the California Dream Act.

California Residents

The California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver) is just for California community college students and does not have to be repaid. It waives enrollment fees but does not cover the cost of books or other expenses. Learn more about the California College Promise Grant and other grants

Financial Aid Checklist

Items Timeframe Resources
Fill out FAFSA (US citizens or permanent residents only). Apply as early as October 1 of the year before you plan to take classes. Applications are due by March 1.* Learn more about FAFSA or start your application here.
If you are not a US citizen or permanent US resident, then fill out a California Dream Act Application. Apply by March 2.* Learn more about the California Dream Act or start your application here.
Apply for California College Promise Grant (formerly BOG Fee Waiver). Applications become available in April prior to the start of each school year. Learn more about the California College Promise Grant or start your application here.

* You can submit the FAFSA or the CA Dream Act Application after this date, but priority is given on a first-come, first-serve basis. You may not be considered for a Cal Grant (state financial aid) after this date.

3 Complete Orientation 3

Orientation gives you important information to help you succeed at Folsom Lake College. All new students must complete orientation online or in person.

In-Person Orientation

Attend an on-the-ground, in-person orientation at the  Main Folsom campus or at either of our extension campuses: the El Dorado Center or the Rancho Cordova Center. This is a fun and engaging experience tailored for students who plan to attend Folsom Lake College where you'll:

  • Receive an FLC Survival Kit, including a copy of the  New Student Survival Guidebook
  • Tour the campus
  • Connect with other incoming students and peer mentors
  • Meet college faculty and staff
  • Learn about FLC's academic programs and majors
  • Get to know the many services and resources available to you

Online Orientation

You can start online orientation 24 hours after you get your student ID number. To complete orientation, log into Canvas and find the tile for Los Rios Online Orientation.

Don’t have a computer or need help?

If you do not have a computer or need help, then you can complete online orientation at one of our campuses.

Orientation Checklist

Items Timeframe Resources
Complete online orientation At least 24 hours after you get your student ID number Log in to Canvas 

4 Place into the Right Classes 4

Once you have completed orientation, you can move on to placement/assessment. The purpose of placement/assessment is to help you succeed by placing you in English and math classes that match your skill level.

Using High School Records for Placement

You will be automatically placed into English and math classes if you:

  • Graduated from a US high school within the last ten years
  • Included all of the requested information about your high school records on your college application

You can view your placement results in your eServices account. From your eServices dashboard, click on the Academic Records tile, then Placements.

Submit Your High School Records for Placement

If you graduated from a US high school within the last ten years, but you did not report your high school information on your application, then you can email your unofficial high school transcripts to FLC’s Welcome & Student Success Center at: to receive your English and math course placements. Alternatively, you can drop off your transcripts to the Welcome & Student Success Center in Aspen Hall/FL1 at the Main Folsom campus.

Use College Records for Placement

If you attended another college (outside of Los Rios), then you can provide college transcripts showing that you passed certain classes. Additional forms may be necessary depending on the college and course.

Use Guided Self-Placement

If you did not complete high school, have been out of high school for more than ten years, or have foreign high school transcripts, then you should use the guided self-placement process to figure out what English and math courses to take. Please contact the Placement Office at: or (916) 608-6573, or see a counselor to obtain the guided self-placement link. After completing guided self-placement, your placements will be updated in our enrollment system overnight.

English as a Second Language (ESL) Assessment

If you are still learning English, then you can take an ESL assessment test, which will place you in an ESL class that matches your skill level. See the Assessment Testing webpage for more information.

5 Make an Educational Plan 5

After you have your placement results, meet with a counselor and create a first semester educational plan. Your educational plan will outline which courses you should take to meet your educational goal. Planning sessions are for first time, new students only – not for students who have attended college before or parents.


Learn how to create an educational plan.

Come Prepared

Before your planning session, spend some time thinking about your education and career goals. On the day of your planning session, remember to bring the following:

  • Valid photo ID
  • Student ID number
  • Placement results
  • High school transcripts
  • AP, CLEP, or IB test scores, if you’ve taken those tests
  • College transcripts, if you’ve been to college before

Educational Plan Checklist

Items Timeframe Resources
Sign up for planning session. As soon as you get your placement results. Sign up here.
Gather required materials for planning session. Before your planning session.
Attend planning session and create educational plan. Before April 1 for summer or fall classes, or before November 1 for spring classes.

6 Enroll in Classes 6

You can enroll in classes online or in person. You will be assigned an enrollment appointment date and time, which is the earliest date and time you can register for classes. You can find your enrollment appointment time in eServices.

Tip: You can put your desired courses in your enrollment shopping cart in eServices before your actual enrollment appointment.

Enrollment Timeline

See the table below to learn when class schedules are posted, when you will be notified of your enrollment appointment time, and when enrollment begins.

Semester Class schedules posted Students receive enrollment appointment on eServices Enrollment begins
Summer 2019 March 25, 2019 April 11, 2019 April 22, 2019
Fall 2019 March 25, 2019 April 11, 2019 April 22, 2019

What if a class I want is closed?

If a class you want is closed, then you can:

  • Work with a counselor to pick another class.
  • Attend the first class session, even if you are not on the waitlist. You may be able to add the class if another student doesn't show up.
  • See if the class is offered at another Los Rios college.

What hours is online registration available?

During the enrollment period, online registration is available Monday through Saturday from 7:00 am to 11:30 pm, and on Sundays from 9:00 am to 11:30 pm.

Enrollment Checklist

Items Timeframe Resources
Review class schedules as soon as they are posted online. Summer and fall 2019 schedules will be posted on March 25, 2019. Go to class schedules.
Find your enrollment appointment date and time. Summer and fall 2019 enrollment dates will be postedon April 11, 2019. Go to eServices or learn more about enrollment appointments.
Register for classes online or in the Admissions and Records Office. Summer and fall 2019 enrollment begins April 22, 2019. Go to eServices.