International Student Admission Steps
International students are those who are attending college in the US on an F-1 visa. International students are a very important part of the growing college community.
Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) March 2020 Guidance
In accordance with the March 2020 guidance from the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), prospective F-1 visa students in new/initial status cannot enter the United States to enroll in a US school as a nonimmigrant student to pursue a full course of study that is 100% online.
Not an International Student?
If you are not an international student, then you may need to follow different steps. Find out what type of student you are and get the correct steps for you!
Apply to Folsom Lake College
Create an OpenCCC account using a personal email (or log in if you already have an account) and fill out the online application for Folsom Lake College.
- You do not need a social security number (SSN) to complete the application.
- After you submit the online application, contact the International Student Office at InternationalStudents@flc.losrios.edu.
After you submit this application, save or print your confirmation page. You will need a copy of the confirmation page to submit with your international student application packet.
High School Seniors
If you are graduating high school before June and applying for the fall semester, then enter the information on your application as if you have already graduated.
Get Help With Your Application
Submit Additional Required Documents
Folsom Lake College has SEVP certification, which allows it to issue Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status Form I-20. International students can use Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 visa to enter the US.
All non-English documents must be translated into English.
The following documents are required for Folsom Lake College to issue Form I-20. Email your completed packet to InternationalStudents@flc.losrios.edu. Call (916) 608-6573 if you have questions.
- Copy of the confirmation page from your CCCApply Application to Folsom Lake College (see step 1).
- International Student Application Packet, with required documentation attached.
- If English is not the only official language and official language of instruction in your country, you must show proof of English proficiency (no more than 2 years old). One of the following:
- Official TOEFL IBT or IBT home only test result (61 minimum score) or TOEFL Essentials (6.5 minimum score) FLC Institution Code: 8685
- IELTS test result of 6.0 minimum
- STEP Eiken (Score: 2A) Japan
- PTE – Pearson Test of English: minimum score of 51
- For Transfer Students Only: US college official transcripts showing proof of successful completion (grade of C or better) of a college-level English writing course.
- Proof of financial support:
- Complete Folsom Lake College Financial Requirements and Sponsor form (page 4 of the application packet)
- Include an official bank letter in the exchange rate of $42,448 US dollars (plus an additional $6,000 USD for each additional dependent) no older than three months from the date you submit your application materials.
- Proof of educational history:
- Copy of high school diploma or a high school transcript showing graduation
- Copy of college transcript(s)
- $50.00 USD non-refundable application fee payable to Folsom Lake College
- Certification of Negative Tuberculosis Skin Test (translated to English)
- Copy of passport photo page
- Students under age 18 must provide an official power of attorney from their home country stating guardianship
- Evidence of health insurance (can be submitted after your arrival to the US)
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine that is on the World Health Organization's approved COVID vaccine list.
Additional Application Documents for Students Already in the US Attending School on F-1 Visa
If you are currently in the US attending another school as an F-1 student, then submit these additional forms:
- FLC Transfer Form. This will be completed by your current school's international student adviser.
- Copy of your most recent I-94, visa, and passport. Original visa and passport are verified in the office upon your arrival.
- Copy of your current school's I-20 and all other SEVIS I-20s.
Submit all required documents together by the following deadlines. We will not review incomplete applications.
Applicants Outside of the US (Applicants Who Will Need to Apply for F-1 Visa)
- Fall semester: May 1
- Spring semester: November 1
Transfer Applicants in the US (Applicants in the US With a Valid F-1 Status)
- Fall semester: June 1
- Spring semester: November 15
Set Up eServices and Los Rios Gmail
eServices is FLC's online student portal where students manage their information, records, classes, and more.
After your initial application is processed, you will receive an official international student admission letter from the International Student Center that contains your Los Rios student ID number (also known as a "W" number or "wID"). This is a seven-digit number with a preceding "W"; for example, W0000001.
You will use your Los Rios ID and password to log in to multiple services, including Canvas, eServices, Los Rios Gmail, and instructional lab computers.
Get Technology Help
Apply for an F-1 Visa
After you receive your Form I-20 from Folsom Lake College, apply for an F-1 visa.
- Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee.
- Schedule an interview appointment with the US Embassy or Consulate. Visit the US Embassy website to find a US Embassy or Consulate near you.
- Bring your Form I-20, Letter of Acceptance from Folsom Lake College, and I-901 receipt to your interview with the US Embassy or Consulate, along with any other documents they request.
You can enter the United States with your I-20 and F-1 Visa 30 days prior to the start date on your I-20. The exact date is listed on your I-20.
Proceed to Enrollment Steps
As soon as you have completed these steps and received official admission confirmation, you may proceed to the International Student Enrollment Steps to learn how to enroll in your classes.
Need help enrolling in your classes? Contact Admissions and Records or the Welcome and Student Success Center.
Students must use a personal email, not a high school email, to complete their application. Free email accounts are available from many sources:
Note: While all of the providers listed above have millions of users and are widely trusted to be reliable and secure, OpenCCC and the CCC Chancellor's Office do not endorse any particular email providers, and will have no liability should any issues arise with a particular email provider.
You only need to submit one CCCApply application to take classes at any college in the Los Rios district – don't spend unnecessary time submitting separate applications for each college.
After your application is processed, we will email you a student ID number and instructions for next steps.
Students who have created a CCCApply account must log in using the account they created; they should not create a new account. Students who forgot their username/password can use the "Forgot" icon on the CCCApply site.
Students who use this function and still cannot find their username/password can call the OpenCCC helpline. If they don’t have their username or password and aren’t able to answer security questions to retrieve that information, then the student will have to contact CCCApply directly.
Folsom Lake College does not have access to CCCApply account information.
International students must meet certain requirements to maintain their student status. Visit our International Student Office to learn more.