Emergency Medical Technology
Folsom Lake College’s emergency medical technology curriculum is designed to provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to apply for certification as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Basic and is approved by the Sacramento County and El Dorado County Health Departments, the certifying agencies for the Sacramento region. EMT Basic certificate holders are the backbone of the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) system throughout the nation, helping to reduce injury severity and death, both as first responders and during transportation to a medical facility. This certification is mandatory for all personnel who wish to pursue a career working on an ambulance. The EMT Basic certification is also a pre-employment requirement for many fire departments. Together with varying levels of actual on-the-job experience, it is often required for admission to paramedic training programs throughout the state.
FLC’s EMT Basic students will gain field experience by spending twelve hours off-campus in operating ambulance units and an additional twelve hours in a hospital emergency department, offering a distinct advantage in patient assessment and critical interventional skills.
FLC's EMT program does not require fingerprinting, background check, drug testing or immunization requirements. However, this may change at any time and with limited notice requiring student compliance.
- EMT Basic
- Emergency Room Technician
- Fire Service
With additional training:
- Emergency Medical Dispatcher
- Physician Assistant
- Registered Nurse
- Rescue Worker
- Hands-on experience in administering proper emergency medical care
- Preparation for the EMT Basic certificate
- Hospital emergency room observation time and opportunities to “ride along” in ambulances
- Opportunity for patient contact experience in a clinical setting
- Students completing the program average a pass rate for National Certification that is 25% above the national average.
- Medical Technology and pre-Clinical Laboratory Science Department
- Phone (916) 608-6925
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org